Thursday, January 27, 2011

Why I Am The Wool Pixie. . .

1), My Mom was British, and I was brought up on fairies and stuff. My Nan actually believed in faeries and would say the Lord's Prayer and turn around ten times if she forgot something at the bus stop and had to go back to the house, so the "bad" faeries wouldn't get her.

2), I saw the phrase in the blog The Panopticon, and I fell on it.

3), Thanks to the Yarn HarlotCrazy Aunt Purl, and Adrienne Martini's book, Sweater Quest: My Year Of Knitting Dangerously,  Alice Starmore, and hat #2 (25% wool), I became aware of wool, specially it's ability to at least try not to unravel when I drop a stitch. And oh ya, it's green! Completely renewable, doesn't melt into the skin when you are on fire, in fact doesn't burn under it's own power, and thanks to the Yarn Harlott's information, doesn't OUT GAS like acrylic yarn!

4), Acrylic yarn comes from oil, and therefor will only become more expensive as time goes on (Yarn Harlot), (wool may too, due to global warming, but at least sheep will be around unlike oil). Save your ziplocks bags, ladies. Someday they will be worth their weight in gold!

I eagerly await my $36.00 worth of wool from KnitPicks.com, so I can start exploring on how to knit mittens. But, I think at first I'll try it in acrylic first. . .work out the problems first.

I know there will be problems. . .That's the fun isn't it!

No comments:

Post a Comment